Tuesday, July 3, 2012

WIXY 5000 Blood Drive

   This past weekend, I participated in the WIXY 5000 Blood Drive at the local mall in my hometown and let me tell you- no matter how many times I donate I always walk away with a certain gratitude and humbleness from knowing that there was a possibility that in that 15 minutes I may have saved 3 lives. While that may sound cheesy, corny, cliche, all of the above; it is also one of the most true realizations I have ever had. 
   As I walked in the door with my glittering sash and radiant crown, the room fell silent. Me, being the airhead that I am, simply assumed, "Well they must just be in shock over the crown!" However within the time that I was there everyone in the room literally gave me the treatment of a queen. All I could think was that they just didn't "get" the pageantry world. Why else would they treat me like I was gracing them with my presence? Like something small and fragile? Little did I know, I was the one who "didn't get it".
   They weren't giving me the royal treatment because they thought they had to, or because they REALLY thought I was THE queen (In my dreams!). As I was leaving, the woman who took my blood that afternoon took my hand looked right at me and said "Thank you. Thank you so much for your time and dedication." It finally hit me that they treated EVERYONE like a  small delicate flower because they genuinely appreciated the kind, generous donation they were making. That day the difference that I was making by giving my ONE pint, was a life changing gesture for someone. As a role model and avid blood donor, this was the most eye opening experiences I could have had. I gave one pint of blood at the WIXY 5000, but the workers and Community Blood Services gave me so much more than that.


Be humble. Be gracious.


Kayce Patton
Miss Teen CAPTIVATING 2012






No comments:

Post a Comment